APEX Insight: As airports prepare for one of the busiest travel times of the year, some are going all out to ensure passengers feel the holiday spirit: elaborate Christmas dinners at Zürich Airport, complimentary gift wrapping services at Heathrow and “Merry Makers” who surprise passengers with random acts of kindness across US airports. Travelers feeling the stress of the season might be pleasantly delighted as they depart, arrive or stop over at these airports during the chaotic holiday rush.
1. Munich Airport features an outdoor German winter market with Bavarian specialties and charming handicrafts while sparkling Christmas trees surround a huge skating rink.
2. Singapore’s Changi Airport embraces Star Wars: The Force Awakens during the holiday season. Thanks to a partnership with Disney running until January 5, 2016, travelers can experience intergalactic travel as Terminal 3 welcomes a life-size X-Wing Fighter, offering visitors the chance to don costumes and take their photos in the cockpit. Surprises abound including Star Wars’ humanoid protocol droid C-3PO that teaches Star Wars phrases in 10 languages, a life-size TIE fighter and obstacle courses for the BB-8 droid.
3. Glistening with lights and 31 decorated trees, Zürich Airport guests are treated to elaborate Christmas dinners and children’s cookie-baking classes. Pop-up stores include festive coffee spots and purveyors of fine chocolates.
4. Musicians and festive decor fill Heathrow Airport with daily events guaranteed to spread joy. Carolers, string quartets and a brass band rotate throughout the airport’s terminals. Also offered are free gift wrapping, “gift helpers” and art for purchase at T5 Gallery.
5. At San Francisco International Airport, a ten-year tradition sees millions of LEDs brighten the airport facade in holiday colors. This year, the airport undertook the task of creating a Golden Gate Bridge replica on the connector bridge between the A and G garages. Check out the video for an inside look at what it takes to set it all up. SFO passengers can also enjoy festive decor and live music that can be downloaded from the airport’s website.
6. Westfield, the shopping center company, has teamed with major US airports in Boston, Houston, Chicago, Miami and Newark to bring holiday cheer to travelers. Passengers are greeted by Westfield’s “Merry Makers” who surprise them with random acts of kindness.
7. At LaGuardia Airport in New York, the #LGASnowBros are spreading Christmas spirit with surprise giveaways at Terminal B. They’re hard to miss…
— EWR JFK LGA SWF (@NY_NJairports) December 11, 2015